Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The king of the ducks

Someone explain this to me. I was on my way to work and as is my wont, passed through the Washington SyCip park in Legazpi Village. As soon as I step through the wooden arch into the park, I hear frantic quacking from the park's resident ducks and damn if they werent headed in my direction and running at full clip, which isnt very fast since theyre ducks, quacking all the way. I stopped on the stone pathway and the ducks, four of them, stopped and formed a straight line at my feet and fell silent like they were curtsying before royalty. I stood there for a few seconds, then headed off to work. I looked back and the ducks dispersed and headed back towards the pond where they came from.

I can think of two reasons for this behavior. One, they mistook me for someone else. I see people sometimes feeding the ducks -- popcorn, bread, chips -- and maybe I happen to look like someone whom they remember to be always bringing them goodies. But I always pass through the park and this is the first time they did such a thing. It can't be because they mistook me for someone. But then again, maybe it's the clothes Im wearing that caused them to misrecognize me. Or, two, they wanted their picture taken like I did last time. Theyre such hams.

But as luck would have it, I left my camera at home.

No comments: